We believe that prevention education is the key to ending child abuse. ABC House has a strong community outreach program that includes school presentations for students, training programs for adult professionals and community members, and Girls Circle support groups for at-risk teenage girls. All educational programming is offered in both Benton and Linn counties.
- Stewards of Children: Child Sexual Abuse Prevention Training: A nationally recognized, award winning training that teaches adults how to prevent, recognize, and react responsibly to child sexual abuse. A training can be scheduled for your group at any location in Benton or Linn counties, at any day and time, and is offered in English and Spanish.
- Child Abuse and Neglect Presentation: Covers the four types of abuse, recognizing signs of abuse in children, responding appropriately when a child discloses abuse and the process for reporting suspicions, observations, and disclosures of child abuse.
- Social Media and Internet Safety Presentation: Addresses the online dangers that children face in today’s digital age. It involves discussion on popular apps and app features and highlights how to talk to children about online safety proactively. Helpful resources are shared, including: resources for maintaining ongoing education about social media’s advancements, ideas for having conversations with children about online dangers, and software, monitoring and filtering systems that parents and caregivers can utilize to keep children safe online.
Designed for middle school and high school aged youth who attend Benton and Linn county schools, our presentations are used to supplement education in health and wellness, child development, family and consumer science, and technology classes.
- Child Abuse Awareness Presentation: Educates students on the four types of abuse, how to report abuse to a mandatory reporter and how to respond if a friend is experiencing abuse.
- Social Media and Internet Safety Presentation: Covers cyber bullying, sexting, online predators, popular apps and app features, protecting one’s reputation and making positive choices online. The presentation emphasizes using social media wisely and well.
- Girls Circle: A peer support group for female identifying youth that combines creative activity and facilitated discussion to build resiliency, self-efficacy, and self-esteem.
For more information, or to schedule a presentation for your school or group, please contact Melissa Whiteman, Community Prevention Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 541-926-2203.
Attend a Darkness to Light Training:
- Darkness to Light's Stewards of Children @ ABC House – 03/21/2018